Re: Thread implementations...

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 01:40:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Unix has always been about providing general tools. We already have
> iovecs and the ability to read and write them via readv(fd) and
> writev(fd). Extending that to do pull(fd) and push(fd) on iovecs
> which stay in kernel space just feels like a natural extension of the
> Unix interface, offering true zero-copy performance without
> sacrificing any of the control you normally get with read/write.

pull()/push() clear up the error reporting problem of sendfile() as well.
sendfile(), having two fds, would be really difficult to diagnose errors
with. Consider just EWOULDBLOCK. Which fd would block?

What if iovecs are extended to take virtual addresses, in addition to the
tokens (physical addrs) of pull/push. This could lead to a zero-copy
solution for doing HTTP/ng MUX... (in addition to all the other current
applications).

Dean