Re: Weird spelling fixes in 2.1.107

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:34:25 -0700

From: hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Date: 26 Jun 1998 03:29:33 GMT

Followup to: <Pine.BSI.3.95.980625180502.18814B-100000@blues.jpj.net>
By author: Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> > - "cpu family\t: %c\n"
> > + "CPU family\t: %c\n"
> >
> > The worst one -- this breaks interface between the kernel and apps.
>
> The /proc/cpuinfo file is normally read by humans. I think applications
> which use it should be adapted to what is best suited for humans.

This is total CRAP, sorry. It was bad enough that some dork removed
the underscores, making automated parsing *MUCH* harder, now this...

I totally agree here, there are for example a bunch of scripts for the
Sparc Linux installation mechanisms in RedHat which parse this gunk to
see if an SMP kernel should be installed etc. You just can't break
this sort of thing.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com