Re: (reiserfs) Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 19:37:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:28:26 -0500 (CDT), Shawn Leas
> <sleas@ixion.honeywell.com> said:
>
> > An LV is a device that will grow/shrink transparently to the FS.
> > ... There are rules regarding growing/shrinking that make it trivial
> > for an FS to support it.
>
> I repeat (and it's getting very repetitive...)
>
> It is *NOT* trivial to extend an ext2fs filesystem, even at the end,
> by more than about 256MB. There are fundamental properties about the

Sorry, I should have said "relatively". I saw the other mail from ya. I
was thinking in terms of ease as opposed to the warped idea of LVM/FS
cooperation some poeple were having. ie: FS -> mind-meld with LVM in
order to be happy. I did not mean to trivialize the task, again, sorry.

-Shawn