Re: Weird spelling fixes in 2.1.107

Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:20:51 -0400 (EDT)

Since one of my duties here is to correct the English in some
positively awful engineering papers, I'll throw my two cents in.

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

> - printk("enabling Symmetric IO mode ... ");
> + printk("enabling symmetric IO mode... ");

if "Symmetric" is a "proper name". It should be capitalized.

Example:
The Disk Subsystem is the name of a design specification.
The disk drive is a component.

> - occurred; hopefully real BIOSes don't assume much. */
> + occurred; hopefully real BIOSs don't assume much. */

The plural of a noun that ends in "s" is formed by adding "es".
Example:
class
classes

> - "cpu family\t: %c\n"
> + "CPU family\t: %c\n"

If CPU is an abbreviation for Central Processing Unit, it should be
capitalized. However, if it is the abbreviation for central processing
unit, it should not!

Example:
300 revolutions per minute.
300 rpm (in spite of the fact that ispell doesn't like it).

If the abbreviation contains the name of a person, the symbol representing
that person should be capitalized.

Example:
300 kilohertz.
300 kHz

> - "RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid ramdisk image starting at %d.\n",
> + "RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at %d.\n",

Again, if we have invented a proper name called Ramdisk, it should
be capitalized. However, random access memory, i.e., ram need not. It
can be, but it doesn't have to be.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.105 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).