Re: keyboard raw mode?

Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@twilight.ucw.cz)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:44:27 +0200

On Thu, Jun 25, 1998 at 01:46:15AM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > Now this sounds very interesting to me. I'd like to add a device like this,
> > which would output raw keystrokes/releases, with timestamps & stuff,
> > like my current joystick driver does. It could even share most of the
> > routines with the joystick driver.
>
> i would rather integrate it to the kernel; actually, the code already
> does exist in its most part, it's just the we lack the /dev/keyboard to
> peep the scancodes passed from one part of the kernel to another.

The joystick driver is already in the kernel, and has quite clever
event queues, made to be unabuseable by user space processes. That's
why I would like to split the lowlevel and highlevel part of it (already
done in 1.2.x joystick drivers), and change the highlevel part to generic
input event queueing and handling device.

> not exactly knowing what i was doing, i wrote this:
> using a gravis gamepad, red button is left button, blue button is middle
> button, green button is right button, and yellow button makes the pad
> move the pointer twice as fast.

Thanks for that, it isn't that bad after all ;)

Vojtech