Re: Linux Enterprise Edition

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
25 Jun 1998 00:09:09 +0100

Bob Lorenzini <hwm@netcom.com> writes:

> On 24 Jun 1998, David Wragg wrote:
>
> > "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk> writes:
> > > If you compare the Linux
> > > kernel right now with what is in NT, then all of the things which NT
> > > calls Enterprise Level are mostly already in Linux, and 2.4 will almost
> > > certainly be a match for NT on all accounts.
> >
> > A lot of work will be needed to match the 25 million lines of new
> > code in NT5 ;-)
>
> What about the 25 million lines of code they discarded. The fact they are
> only keeping 15% of NT4 means they have given up on it and starting over.

Yep. There's a _huge_ amount of stuff in there. Some of it is
marginally interesting, some of it promises really useful extras. With
the sheer volume of code, however, it's hard to see how they are going
to ship it in a stable state.

That aside, I was explicitly talking about kernel functionality when
calling 2.4 "enterprise-ready". There's a great deal of non-kernel work
still to do, but the current strides being made with distributed
management tools and LDAP integration are going to be really powerful
tools in this arena.

--Stephen