Re: Thread implementations...

Michael Alan Dorman (mdorman-linux-kernel@debian.org)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:07:39 -0400

On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 06:37:58PM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> my latest scheme for speeding up apache involves what I'm calling "HTTP
> flows", and the short story is that the web server has a front-end and a
> back-end. The front-end is extremely light, dumb, and single threaded;
> the back-end is full featured, and looks almost the same as current
> apache. The front-end handles only well-formed HTTP requests and only
> requests that fit patterns that the back-end has fed it. In its simplest
> form it's a mapping from URL to mmap-region/FD (but it can handle far more
> than just these static-only servers). If sendfile() is blocking I can't
> use it for this.

So you're building squid's 'httpd accellerator mode' into apache, basically,
but taking advantage of the fact that the two parts are closely coupled to
increase speed further?

I've been thinking about doing this (with squid), to front-end an
apache/mod-perl that would mostly be used for less than 100% dynamic (and
therefore cacheable) content.

Being able to do it all in apache would be nice.

Mike.