Re: Pathnames in /proc

Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich (saw@msu.ru)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 18:19:28 +0400

On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 11:44:06PM +0200, Alexander Kjeldaas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 07:37:28PM +0400, Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich wrote:
> >
> > I've just booted a test kernel with \0 in /proc/mounts
> > to see what utilities it confuses.
> > I keep /etc/mtab as a link to /proc/mounts.
>
> Just a note - how do you make that work. Last time I did that, mount
> would mess up by unlinking /etc/mtab on mount, so I changed PATH_MTAB
> in libc and patched mount/umount.

I've removed `rm -f /etc/mtab' from startup script
and took newest version of mount which explicitly check
if /etc/mtab is a link to /proc/mounts.

> > Unfortunately, the change break most utilities dealing with /etc/mtab.
> > The quick observation shows that getmntent() is a culprit.
> > I see no solution to make /proc/mounts reliable and to not break
> > many system utilities at the same time.
>
> What about fixing glibc.

It's a subtle problem. It would be easy to make a fix but I suspect
it would be very hard to argue about accepting the fix in the main
glibc distribution.

Best wishes
Andrey V.
Savochkin