Re: Y2K

Marsh Ray (marsh_lin@ad-hoc.gainesville.fl.us)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:06:19 -0400

From: James H. Cloos Jr. <cloos@jhcloos.com>

>Four quick comments on this thread:
>
>FWIW, GPS time, AFAIR, like POSIX's struct tm, ignores leap seconds.
>
>The GNU timezone data (which in glibc-2.0.5 come from the tzcode1997a
>and tzdata1997a packages by Arthur David Olsen et.al., acording to
>glibc-2.0.5/time/README) do take leap seconds into consideration.
>
>The date(1) manpage explicitly says that second (%S, and by extension
>tm_sec) can run from 00 to 61.

I saw that too, and I thought, "WOW!" a minute that
has _two_ leap seconds!

No, really, isn't that in error? A normal minute
would have seconds numbered 0-59, a minute with a
leap second would go 0-60, why does tm_sec need
to go to 61?

glibc-2.0.6/time/strptime.c seems to accept seconds
from 0 to 61 as well.

- Marsh