Re: uniform input device packets?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Johan_Myr=E9en?= (jem@vistacom.fi)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:03:07 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 05:59:51AM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > i envision: this protocol would be used by the kernel and/or daemons
> > and/or user processes, with sysv-pipes and/or char-devices and/or
> > bsd-sockets. support for such mouse and keyboard input would be included
> > in X, svgalib, dosemu, etc.; the mouse and keyboard inputs need not to be
> > in the same stream, but are allowed to do so.

> > 1 byte: a signature 'i'.

> Is this needed? If we are reading this device we already know what
> we expect in there.

Two things I haven't seen mentioned here (maybe I missed
them), but I think would be nice to have:

- A version number byte or field. Or do you think you will get
the protocol right the first time?

- A way of recovering from lost synchronization. You will have
to have some way to find where the next packet starts from any
point in the stream. (XFree86 uses some heuristics for the
current mouse protocols it supports.)

Johan Myreen
jem@iki.fi