Re: Header files and interfaces

Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm+eric@npwt.net)
23 Jun 1998 00:24:35 -0500

TT> There's a difference between the occasional bug (especially in the
TT> development kernel) and consciously breaking an old interface, and then
TT> when people complain, say that you don't care. The kernel has in
TT> general been very careful not to gratutiously break backwards
TT> compatibility.

As I understand the story glibc2 has been quite careful as well.
llseek was put into some stable release without a header declaration.
After realizing he that llseek was not the way to go, Ulrich Drepper
decided to never prototype it, to discourage use.

That is fine except that not prototyping things DOES NOT DISCOURAGE
USE by autoconf. It instead CREATES BUGS because the return value of
llseek without a prototype defaults wrong.

What needs to happen now is that the Ulrich Drepper needs to see his
policy failed to DISCOURAGE USE, and CREATED BUGS, and realizing it is
a BUG to not prototype functions, prototype it, and find ANOTHER
POLICY to discourage use.

Eric