Re: More info on 104 oops [probably procfs bug]

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 21:08:42 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> Quite a while back I added a mechanism to /proc so that modules can have
> their use counts incremented when a /proc directory is being referenced. This
> prevents the problems with having a module removed while a shell or other
> application is sitting in the module's /proc directory.

Hmm, it was about the time of the addition of this mechanism, that I
started to be able to completely screw the kernel with "rm -rf /proc" ;-)

rm -rf /proc still causes oopses hung processes and other unpleasantries.

Cheers
Chris