Re: Another UNBELIEVABLE linux story!

Vadim E. Kogan (vadim@vadim.gem.net)
Fri, 05 Jun 1998 23:47:58 -0700

Bart Kus wrote:

> While we're sharing Linux stories, maybe I should share this
> one. I've swapped arcnet and modem and serial cards on more than one
> linux system without it crashing :) I mean HOT SWAP :) If serial were a
> module I woulda been able to use the new ports right off the bat, I
> think. And I think I did get the arcnet card going from a hot swap.
Heh.. I was doing it many times.. ethernet cards, serials, etc.. :)
Worked fine :)
Also used to turn off one of the cases w/ several SCSI disks for the
night (they were OLD and NOISY, and I was sleeping right near it). And
all other kings of playing w/ disks (SCSI/IDE) :))

> NOTE: THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. EVEN MORESO THAN THE HARD
> DRIVE THING. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME UNLESS YOU CAN ALIGN THE BOARD
> CONNECTORS *PERFECTLY* ALL THROUGHOUT THE SWAP. Other than that, have
> fun :)
Yeah, gotta be really carefull & know 100% wtf you're going. :)

Vadim