Re: AIC7XXXX bug in 2.0.34

Nomad the Wanderer (nomad@orci.com)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 13:49:14 -0600

Thus spake Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com):

> On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Nomad the Wanderer wrote:
>
> [SNIPPED]
> >
> > Do what? Is this a problem with the driver? I can reliablly move alot
> > of stuff around on my box in windows, but I've had lockups, etc in
> > Linux... I just recently went to a 3940UW. I have 5 4Gig UW drives on
> > channel A and 4 devices on Channel B. What Impact should I see now? Ive
> > been staying in paranoid mode in that, if I have a couple of the drives
> > unmounted it's more reliable and haven't tried all devices in use with
> > the 3940controller...
> >
> > Any more details?
>
> Windows doesn't report any errors. It's the design. That is the reason
> why the machines seem to work, then stop, then you have to reinstall
> Windows (with all user data lost). So "works with Windows" is not
> relevant.

ummm no. In Linux, the box starts scrolling lines about detection, resets
and such and just basically hangs. Windows reports no errors (like you said)
but also doesn't suffer the hangs.

> The driver tries its best to fix problems. However it can't recover
> from the failure of an active device to respond. If it can't talk
> to the device, it can't tell it to reset, etc. I did not write the
> driver so I am not trying to defend it. However, since I used to use
> these controllers on 4 machines I have lots of (bad) experience.
>
> The bus interface chip cannot possibly drive more than 4 devices
> correctly. It is a broken design. The output impedence (resistive
> component) is 30 ohms. Simple Ohm's Law shows the problem. I tried to work
> out this problem with Adaptec about a year ago. This controller was
> aparently not designed by anybody who continued to work for Adaptec.
>
> I suggest that you sell the controller to someone who has 4 SCSI devices
> or less and buy a BusLogic BT-958. No. I do not work for BusLogic either.
> However, the next time you download a new kernel, look at the .config
> file before you do `make config`. You will see what Linus uses.

In the past, I've had a 2940U controller filled with 7 devices. I traded
that for a 2940UW which then had 10 devices. It worked fine, note this was
somewhere around kernel 2.1.8X (possibly 4X or 6X, it's been a while)...

Robert
Robert L. Harris | Educate the Masses,
Senior System Administrator | Don't just help them to
at Great West Life. \_ Remain ignorant.

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

FYI: