Re: AIC7XXXX bug in 2.0.34

Nomad the Wanderer (nomad@orci.com)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 13:12:20 -0600

Thus spake Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com):

> On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Doug Paul wrote:
>
> > There appears to be an intermittant bug in the boot sequence for
> > the AIC7XXX driver in 2.0.34.
>
> (3) Too many devices on the SCSI bus.
>
> This Adaptec controller will not reliably drive more than 4 devices even
> though it is supposed to do so. This is why I went to BusLogic. The
> bus interface chip has a relatively high output impedance.

Do what? Is this a problem with the driver? I can reliablly move alot
of stuff around on my box in windows, but I've had lockups, etc in
Linux... I just recently went to a 3940UW. I have 5 4Gig UW drives on
channel A and 4 devices on Channel B. What Impact should I see now? Ive
been staying in paranoid mode in that, if I have a couple of the drives
unmounted it's more reliable and haven't tried all devices in use with
the 3940controller...

Any more details?

Robert
Robert L. Harris | Educate the Masses,
Senior System Administrator | Don't just help them to
at Great West Life. \_ Remain ignorant.

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

FYI: