Re: Who maintains swap code?

Michael L. Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:45:44 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> >From the discussion that has taken place recently, the general
> conditions for another bug in the Linux source have been tracked down.
> However, according to the MAINTAINERS file, there is nobody
> responsible for the relevant section of the code.
>
> >From what has been said, there appears to be some sort of thrashing
> occurring in the memory management code that deals with swapping
> to/from disk, which occurs specifically in the following
> circumstances:
>
> 1. There are TWO OR MORE swap partitions allocated.
>
> 2. ALL swap partitions have the SAME priority setting.
>
> I don't know the code well enough at the moment to investigate
> further, but would be interested to discover who's responsible for the
> relevant section of code so I can pass on this report to somebody
> who's better able to handle it than I am...

Hello Riley,

I think you are on the wrong track here as I have 2 identical 128mb
partitions at the same priority (need interleaved swap) and have had
these in place for quite a long time (2.0.1x).

I have seen thrashing-from-hell, but not with any of the last, say
10,12 versions or so. I have tried _very_ hard to get the machine to
thrash with no success. What I do see is a whole lot of kswapd eating
most of my io bandwidth for any task which consumes more than 16 of
80 meg of ram no matter how I tune parameters. I suspect that this
kswapd activity gets toxic only on small memory machines.

This I believe is a known problem which is being addressed by the
vm magicians. It will get better when someone figures out how to
solve the fragmentation issues.. and no sooner I think.

Cheers,

-Mike