Re: UNBELIEVABLE linux story!

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:04:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Dave Wreski wrote:

> > [...] I bumped the power cable on my hard disk and
> > jolted it enough that it disconnected. OH SHIT! The computer
> > seemed to be ok still... I pressed some keys... no problem... I
> > was freaking! I carefully grabbed the power cable and put it
> > back on WHILE THE COMPUTER REMAINED ON!!
>
> I blew up a 130M Seagate, back when they were hundreds of dollars by
> accidentally jarring the hard disk cable. You're very lucky.
>
> Hard disks are still hundreds of dollars, so when you do happen to mention
> this story, you might want to say you had precious data that wasn't quite
> flushed from cache, and you had no choice but to _intentionally_ re-insert
> the power cable ;)

You also removed the plug at the right moment, had linux been mid access
you could have seen a reboot.

I have however hot swapped ide drives, on my secondary ide. (only my
old 200meg)
I was really pressed for time, and I don't reccomend it at all. if anyone
does unmount the drive first.

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack
irc admin voyager.starchat.net

gmack@imag.net innerfire@starchat.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.