Re: New compilation error for 2.0.34 !

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
4 Jun 1998 16:51:30 +0200

In article <m0yhahx-000aOqC@the-village.bc.nu>,
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> Another question : I've to change number of filedescriptor !! I can just
>> change it in /usr/include/gnu/types.h ??? or i've to apply a patch to the
>> kernel ???
>
>There is a 3000 fd kernel patch on www.linuxhq.com. I dont know if its been
>updated to .34 yet but if not it shouldnt need much tweaking

I have an updated patch on ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/kernel/

The main difference between this and the "filehandle.patch.linux" version is
that it sets the soft limit of the # of available file descriptor to
256 and the hard limit to 3000 for all processes. Some processes, most
notably rpc.portmap, die a horrible death if the number of available
filedescriptors is > 1024 (or even > 256 for older programs/libcs).

Mike.

--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.