Re: nfs v2.1.103 alpha staleness

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 22:08:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:

> Pete Wyckoff wrote:
>
> > Can you (or Bill) confirm the following suspicions I have about knfsd?
> >
> > 1. No named sockets. (Noticed watching syslogd try to create /dev/log)
>
> The code says "not yet implemented".
>
> > 2. No multiple mounts from same filesystem.
> > I was trying to mount server:/tftpboot/nfsroot as /, then go and
> > add server:/usr as /usr, to save me some hard links on the server,
> > but knfsd was unwilling to export both at the same time. Unsfd
> > seemed okay with that. I can work around.
>
> Unfsd lets you export a whole tree or just pieces, but knfsd exports
> just one mount per filsystem.

Yes, unfortunately this means that you cannot specifically export a file
for use as an NFS swap device. I had to temporarily revert back to unfs
in order to netboot my VAXstation <g>. The documentation for NetBSD
describes how to do this under FreeBSD, NetBSD and Linux unfs. Although
FreeBSD also exports only entire file systems, I am not able to
successfully apply a similar approach with knfs.

Here's the knfs scenario:

I am already exporting / from the kfns server. The VAX root directory is
/export/vax/root and the swap file is /export/vax/swap (a non-sparse
16-Meg file. Knfs will not allow me to specifically export the swap file,
but it _will_ allow me to export /export/vax/root in addition to / (they
are both on the same volume). From what you are saying, Bill, shouldn't
this be an illegal operation?

Curiously, the VAX bootstrap fails when it attempts to mount

server:/export/vax/root on /

in a situation where knfs is only exporting /. If I do:

exportfs vax:/export/vax/root

then it boots properly. However, I am then unable to mount the swap file
(server complains that it is not being exported).

Any insights or comments?