Re: Linux testing

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 16:05:43 -0400 (EDT)

Alan Cox writes:
> [somebody wrote]

>> What if someone was to write a suite of test programs that exercises
>> every aspect of the kernel and generates a report on problems found with
>> the kernels and its associated drivers/modules. This could be one neat
>
> The What If is old, the doing is hard... I've crashme'd, bonnie'd and
> other things the drivers I have hardware for

Isn't crashme a really generic tool? A few months ago, someone used
a system call checker to find bugs that crashme was too slow to find.
I suspect that a really good tool would make 5% of the junk code be
the system call interrupt. It might be good to set up odd situations
with signal handlers, threads, and x86 segments before executing the
junk code.