Re: Problem with TCP

Barry Treahy (treahy@allianceelec.com)
Wed, 03 Jun 1998 09:11:32 -0700

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Barry Treahy wrote:
>
> > In a nutshell, I'm running 2.0.33 of Linux (just upgraded from 2.0.30 to
> > see if the problem would go away and it didn't) on a Compaq 486 PC. For
> > the past several months, I've been experiencing problems that I have
> > been blaming on my HTTP server vendor to find out that it appears to be
> > a Linux problem.
> >
> > I have identified a hand full of files including a copy of VMLINUZ,
> > several .GIF files, etc. that when I try and FTP them from this PC, and
>
> When you say ``from this PC'' do you mean that you have not tried
> this from any other FTP client? What is the client software?

I have a DELL 400, and DEC Alpha running DU 4.0, and three other PC's running
Linux 2.0.33. None of these listed machines can successfully FTP these
problem files using the client local to that machine (Smarterm 420 in the case
of the DELL 400), and the all fail during the HTTP GET request whether that
request is initiated by Netscape, IE, or a manual telnet session to port
80...

> > in the case of the .GIF files, the HTTP server tries to send them, the
> > first 1k to 2k of the file is damaged... Why do I say that, I run
> > TCPDUMP capturing the packets and compare the contents of the packets to
> > the real file... TCP seems to think that the file is ok, because no
> > retransmissions occur but the ftp client hangs, the web browser hang,
> > etc...
>
> I've never seen this sort of thing happen in any UNIX OS.

Agreed!!! That's why I blamed the HTTP vendor until I confirmed that the
problem wasn't localized to HTTP only...