Re: =?gb2312?B?u9i4tDogaG93IHRvIG1ha2UgbW9yZSB0aGFuIDI1NiBwdHkvdHR5ID8=?=

Aaron M. Ucko (amu@MIT.EDU)
31 May 1998 13:43:43 -0500

"Yin Dadian" <yindd@bupt.edu.cn> writes:

> I looked for the file drivers/char/tty_io.c include/linux/tty.h
> such so. I found that there seems have no limit on function
> tty_open() tty_releave() .... These functions work with major and
> minor .So if i can make more the 256 pty/tty , i can use them.
> But when i use "mknod ptyA0 c 2 256" which means i want to make
> a device ptyA0 with major=2 and minor=256 , "mknod" changed minor
> "256" into "1" (256-255). if you use "mknod ptyA0 c 2 514" , you
> will get minor "4" (514-255*2).

Linux major and minor numbers are both only eight bits. You'd have to
make an additional major number correspond to the new ttys on your
system. As
mknod --version
says, mknod is part of the GNU fileutils package; you can find source
in ftp.gnu.org:/pub/gnu.