RE: Freezing, black screen, lock up of computer

Mark.Shaw@cadus.com
Thu, 28 May 1998 08:53:28 -0400

I also used to have the "Black screen of Death". I also replaced my
3Com905 cards with Netgear FA 310Tx's. I also can now say, "Life is
good"

-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Jorg B. [mailto:jorg_b@cwo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 1998 11:14 PM
To: Fabricio Chalub
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu;
linux-smp@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Freezing, black screen, lock up of
computer

This "Black screen of Death" crash seems to be one of
these things that
nobody really seem to be able to fix, yet. Let me guess,
you are using a
3com 905 card and or an Adaptec card/chip. We had this
happen with 2.0.33
since day one... One thing to do is to upgrade to the
latest Drivers for
both the scsi adapter and the ethernet card.
We had no more problems as soon as we got rid of the
3com 905 ethernet card.
I replace this card with a Netgear FA 310Tx, which works
great...

Hope that helps a bit...

JB

At 08:59 PM 5/27/98 -0300, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>On *very* random intervals my apache web server running
linux-2.0.33 SMP
>with some of the "secure-linux" patches freezes, the
screen remains black,
>no keyboard, nothing, only a hard reset will bring the
system back to life.

>Three points:
>
>--> The logs don't show *any* "oops" or anything that
could hint us what is
>the offending piece of software/hardware...
>
>--> and I said random because the computer ran for 8
days without any
>problems. Before that it ran for 5 days. I think 'tis
something to do with
>SMP, since we own an Asus dual Pentium II.
>
>--> The ONLY thing that was abnormal was that when I
asked a process listing
>(a normal ps xa dump), the process (kswapd) showed an
absurd running time
>(something like 239873423 hours, whilst the system was
up for only 7 days).
>That's weird :)
>
>Did you guys have any similar experience? I'm
downgrading to UP, though :(

>[ ]s fabricio
>
>ps.: My hardware is really normal: 128 M of memory, IDE
hd, NE2000
>compatible ethernet, etc. I find it very surprising a
stable kernel locking