Re: BTTV & video4linux questions

David Woodhouse (Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 28 May 1998 10:54:11 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Erik Andersen wrote:

> Ok, so they disagree about where the framebuffer is supposed to be. Fine.
> So I read the source, find the vidmem argument, and add this to my
> conf.modules file:
> options bttv vidmem=0xe0000000
> and then I remove and then re-insert the bttv module. I then see the
> _exact_ same message in the kernel log. Runing xawtv now gives me:
>
> andersee@dillweed% xawtv
> X-Server supports DGA
> X-Server supports VidMode
> video mode: 1280x1024 640x480
> dga: base=0xe0000000
> v4l: base=0xfff00000
> v4l and dga disagree about the framebuffer address
> you probably want to check out the vidmem argument of the bttv module
>
> Now it seems to me that when I specify a particular address for the
> card's vidmem, it should not pick some other arbitrary address, right?
> Has anybody had more success then I am having with these things? Any
> hints would be helpful.

Too many zeroes. Use:

options bttv vidmem=0xe00

And remember to use v4l-conf before you run xawtv

If you've got a 32-bit colour display, you'll probably need to specify
that: 'v4l-conf -b 32' and 'xawtv -b 32'

Also if you've got 32-bit colour, you might find that your overlay window
appears 256 pixels to the left of where it should be. I've no idea why
this happens - ATM I just add 256 to the X value that xawtv asks the
kernel to display at.

David Woodhouse, Robinson College, CB3 9AN, England. (+44) 0976 658355
Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk http://www.imladris.demon.co.uk
finger pgp@dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk for PGP key.