Re: oh woe, oh woe, oh woe is me... [2.0.34p16 + 3com]

Serguei Koubouchine (ksi@gu.net)
Wed, 27 May 1998 20:15:30 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Donald Becker wrote:

> On Wed, 27 May 1998, Serguei Koubouchine wrote:
>
> > > system is actually the problem. I don't know how many times I have sent a
> > > one-line "Don't use 'gated'" response to angry messages about my drivers.
> >
> > Do you have an alternative to gated ? I'd be very happy if you tell us
> > about one...
>
> The problem was that RedHat 5.0 shipped with a broken 'gated' RPM that was
> turned on by default.
> They now have a fixed RPM available.

Thank you for an advance, but we do not use RedHat 5.0 here... Furthermore,
2.0.xx kernels DO work, these are 2.1.xxx that don't...

> My point was that I learn about every possible broken configuration and
> distribution. I thought that I was using an example that everyone knew
> about by now! There are far more obscure problems..

What do the broken distribution of misconfiguration have to the driver bug?
Exactly the same system DOES work when running with 2.0.xx kernel... And how
can one misconfigure gated that ethernet woes about TX timeouts and cease to
work making the whole networking dead ?

> How 'bout the all-time biggest contributer to bogus bug reports: "No, the
> driver isn't stuck at 10mbps, despite what 'ifconfig' is reporting".
> Media (speed+duplex) selection is the most difficult part of keeping a
> driver working with new card versions, so I can't ignore these. But most
> are simple user errors.

Do you want to see a quick hack, making eepro100 work with gated in 2.1.xxx?
I can supply a patch...

And there is a working 2.1.102pre1 kernel with patched eepro100 driver in
rpm package if someone does want one - please check my site at
ftp://ksi.gu.net/pub/Devel/Nostromo...