Update: Enhanced access control for 2.0.33 linux kernel

A. Ott (ao@morpork.shnet.org)
25 May 1998 12:47:00 +0200

********* ***************** ********** **** ***** ***** ************
To subject Enhanced access control for 2.0.33 kernel
ao@ao.morpork.shnet.org (A. Ott) wrote:
********** ******************** ****** ******** ******* *************

> In my Diplomarbeit (master thesis) I implemented a rather new way of
> access control system into the linux kernel, following the Generalized
> Framework for Access Control. The system devides access control in
> enforcement, done in the system calls, and decision, done in separate
> modules, one for each implemented security model.ˇ
> [...]
> Further information and the package can be found at the RSBAC homepage:ˇ
> http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/people/1ott/rsbacˇ

Version 1.0.2 is available now.

Changes:
- On some machines, the kernel crashed after some time under heavy load
(not sure why, maybe semaphore deadlock). Changed RSBAC process owner
management, no more crashes detected.
- As a new security module an on-access Malware Scanner has been added. It
currently detects linux viruses bliss.A and bliss.B and denies execute
(optionally also read-open and read-write-open) of infected files for all
programs/processes, unless marked as trusted (useful for user level
scanners etc.).
- Some minor bugs fixed

To be done:
- Malware detection by a real, sophisticated scanner, maybe in user space
- Finishing Clark-Wilson module
- Adding categories to Mandatory Access Control / Bell/La Padula module
- Menu based administration for privacy module

All help is appreciated!

Is anyone interested in another type of security model/module being added?

Amon.