Re: Why all glibc2 programs are FPU programs

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Tue, 26 May 1998 09:36:18 -0700

From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>
Date: 26 May 1998 09:25:45 -0700

But even ngiving the chance that it could change is enough. Why
not making the right thing in the kernel where all the information
is available and instead relying on synchronizing with user-level
code?

Because the solution I propose allows anyone using any kernel existing
right now to have something which works. Your solution requires a
kernel upgrade and changes to both glibc and the kernel. A
distribution creator such as Adam may be trying to implement a
solution in terms of a 2.0.x kernel.

I've been watching glibc set the FPU csr to zero on all architectures,
most of which give the user a zero'd FPU csr when it starts up, for
every process which ever runs, annulling any optimizations I do to
defer FPU state setup on the ports I maintain. And it happens for no
good reason.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com