Re: 104 is a stinker with AIC7xxx

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Tue, 26 May 1998 02:55:46 -0500

cedric wrote:

> Michael Nelson wrote:
> >
> > cedric <cedric@mail.publinet.ch> wrote:
> > -> >pre-104-1 won't boot for me. It gets timeouts on my boot drive,
> > -> >keeps "trying harder" in an endless loop. Rebooting with 102
> > -> >works just fine.
> > ->
> > -> hello,
> > -> do you have aic7xxx=no_reset in you lilo.conf ?
> >
> > Yes, Cedric, I do. It's been there for ages. Are you saying
> > that's the problem? I _DO_ need to reset it? I hate waiting
> > through that reset (although I realize the time is configurable),
> > and I'd rather not if I don't have to.

> try to remove aic7xxx=no_reset, it fixed the prob for me.

Yes, the no_reset option needs to be removed. Since we now wait until after
the first inquiry command is sent to do negotiation, the inquiry command
itself will try to run at the wrong sync speed (should be async according to
the card, the drive is trying to use sync instead) if you don't reset the
bus. If I had realized how many people have the no_reset option in use, I
would have entirely disabled it in that patch, and the next patch will
disable that option.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> Opinions expressed are my own, but they should be everybody's.