Re: 2.0.34pre16 SCSI problem

Mon, 25 May 1998 20:21:50 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 24 May 1998, Hans-Joachim Baader wrote:

> Hi Alan and all,
>
> I installed pre16 on my server. During the nightly backup I got a
> lot of SCSI timeouts and resets but the box recovered eventually.
> I have never observed such problems with earlier kernel versions,
> including pre15.
>
> The next afternoon I copied a kernel tree when the problem occured
> again. This time I was unable to stop it so I power cycled the box.
> I rebooted into 2.0.33 and after the file system checks I made a
> few tests with copying kernel trees. No problems.
>
> Then I booted pre16 again and did the same tests there - no problems.
> A few hours later I started stress testing the system with a copy/diff
> script. It took about half an hour until the problem showed up again.
> Another power cycle.
>
> Back in 2.0.33 I'm currently running the same tests to see if it's
> a pre16 or a hardware problem.

You are using a 53c810 controller with the ncr53c8xx driver as shown
in the reported kernel messages.
Reading your post, I would think your problem be hardware related
or may be caused by overheating.
But a software problem is obviously possible and if it is really
reproducible, you could run some stress program under pre16 using
the following driver versions: (pre16 uses 2.5f.1 driver version)

- ncr53c8xx-2.4a
--------------
You just have to copy driver files ncr53c8xx.h and ncr53c8xx.c
supplied in linux-2.0.33/drivers/scsi to the corresponding
destination in 2.0.34pre16 tree.

- ncr53c8xx-2.6m (or 2.6l)
Download the following file from ftp.tux.org:
ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/roudier/README
ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/roudier/Testing/ncr53c8xx-2.6l.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/roudier/Testing/ncr53c8xx-2.6l-to-2.6m.patch.gz
And follow instructions in README for updating 2.0.27-33 kernels, but
apply the changes to pre16.

Results may help to find the cause of the problem.

Regards,
Gerard.