Re: 2GB RAM

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Wed, 20 May 1998 22:50:21 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Jan Kasprzak wrote:

> I want to ask how to make Linux to use 2 GB of physical RAM on iX86.
> I know there were a config option for this in some 2.1.XX kernel,
> but there is no such option in 2.1.102. Is it possible again?

Yes. You _do_ have to edit include/asm-i386/page.h and
another file (mentioned in page.h) though.

The documentation is inside page.h.

> I need this for 4-PPro computation server. Also how the 2GB of physical
> RAM affects the maximum size of process' virtual memory?

On x86, we can divide the address space between virtual and
physical memory. If you choose to support 2GB of physical
memory, you've got 2GB of virtual memory space per process
left. Of course, you can have multiple 2GB processes
running :)

AFAIK, only Data General's DG-UX supports the full 64GB
on PPro machines with up to 4GB of virtual address space
per process...

succes,

Rik.