Re: Rampage Plus 286 EMS boards programming info.

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Wed, 20 May 1998 12:33:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 19 May 1998, David Woodhouse wrote:

> > It is an AST Rampage Plus 286 card.
> > I have no idea how these cards work. What ports are used? IRQ's, DMA?
> > Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> It's probably very simple. It'll map its memory a page at a time into a
> selected area of high memory, and you tell it which page you want to see by
> outputting a byte/word to an IO address.

That sounds incredibly simple! I don't have a clue which I/O
addresses it uses though. I've written AST about it, I hope that
they respond.

> mharris@ican.net said:
> > I have the MSDOS driver for the card, and could possibly reverse
> > engineer it, but I don't know how .SYS files load under DOS. Any
> > ideas?
>
> Hehe - One or two. http://www.imladris.demon.co.uk/devload/
> There's a lot of documentation on the layout of DOS device drivers. I'm not
> sure if I've linked any from there, but there's some sample source for one,
> at least.

Great! I'll have a look, thanks!

> Scan the driver for outb instructions, and it will probably make itself very
> clear.

Yes, that is a great idea! I hope it doesn't use DMA though!
;o)

Thanks a lot!