Re: blocksize > 4K in ext2 ?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Wed, 20 May 1998 18:09:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Gabriele Grilli wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > btw: Why do you need >4k block size in ext2fs?
>
> Because I want a filesystem (f.s.) that works well with files very large
> (256MB and more) and allows defragmentation and sequential allocation.

256MB is not considered very large, not even for ext2fs. Ext2fs
does however skip to another block group every X blocks (1MB
on 1k systems?). This seek time is very small however, so
it shouldn't really matter.

(big files start at 2G :)

> If possible this f.s. must to support the I/O asinchronous.

Glibc allows async I/O.

> Do you know any f.s. which has all/any of these characteristics?

Linux/ext2fs + glibc should be good enough. Use RAID and
1MB readahead for video streaming...
If you need _really_ highend, you'd better get a machine
with IRIX/XFS :)

Rik.