Re: Poor device management

F Harvell (spam@fts.net)
Tue, 19 May 1998 19:11:10 -0300

On Tue, 19 May 1998 18:23:24 EDT, "Phil's Kernel Account" wrote:
> On 19 May 1998, John Goerzen wrote:
> #1. It appears that Linux can support a maximum of 16 SCSI hard drives
> #per system, according to devices.txt.
> If this is correct, then we definitely have a problem. UW SCSI supports up
> to 15 SCSI ID's, with one being reserved for the card. You add in another
> UW SCSI controller, max both, that's 8 drives you can't use. Not pretty if
> you're trying to build a software RAID stack. Or a massive RAID stack off
> a DAC960 5 channel. :(

For a RAID controller, you should not be addressing the individual drives, you should be addressing the RAIDed volumes. There should be relatively few of those. The controller will take care of the translation from the RAIDed volumes to the individual drives.

--
Mr. F Harvell                          Phone:407 696-4340
FTS International, Systems Division    Phone:407 399-0342 (cell)