Re: Are applications for Linux platform specific?

Derrik (dpates@kalifornia.com)
Mon, 18 May 1998 21:53:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Jose M. Fandos wrote:

> I was looking at the download section of Netscape for Communicator
> when I came to think of this and... I don't know the answer, though
> I guess it may have a few possible scenarios.
>
> I'm talking about apps in binary format, executables, made for
> Linux. Will they run in any hard with Linux? I guess... not, but
> may be someone can assure me that.

No, they won't. When they're built, the compiler you use is specific to a
particular OS/processor combination, and so are the binaries generated.

Derrik Pates
dpates@kalifornia.com
dpates@acm.org