Re: kernel profiling in 2.1 ?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 17 May 1998 20:47:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

> On Sun, May 17, 1998 at 03:03:05PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > If that is true, then the machine should also hang from a simple
> >
> > main()
> > {
> > for (;;) ;
> > }
> >
> > does it?
>
> it does.

Having looked closer at this, have you by any chance compiled a SMP
kernel? SMP doesn't really work reliably on alpha (although it should be
fairly close), and one symptom would be that you never get re-scheduled.

So make sure that SMP is commented out in the main Makefile (it defaults
to on in the kernels I generate, because I run it that way personally on
the x86). Just setting it to zero won't work, you really have to comment
it out completely.

Linus