Re: NFS not working properly in 2.1.101 (swap code?)

Nuno Ferreira (nmrf@rnl.ist.utl.pt)
Mon, 18 May 1998 04:12:46 +0100

On Sat, May 16, 1998 at 08:43:46PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Craig Schlenter <craig@is.co.za> writes:
>
> > > May 13 11:10:12 rs120 kernel: VM: Found a writable swap-cached page!
> >
> > The writable swap cache page thing is another story ... I saw this on my
> > glibc based machine a while back (2.1.9x) while stressing it heavily with
> > some linuxthread activity. Perhaps Rik or Stephen can shed some light on
> > the swap message implications ...
>
> Not yet, but I'm definitely looking into it. Any hints as to what
> sort of load starts these messages happening would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> --Stephen
>
> -

Well, I got these messages while debugging(in gdb) a gnome program compiled
with libefence (if you don't know, it'a a library wich replaces malloc and
detects writes and reads from non-malloced memory). I think it was while
exiting but I'm not sure. Hope it helps. If you want I could try and
duplicate it. Note that I have both swap partition and a swapfile, don't
know if the file was being used at this time, and that libefence uses quite
a lot of memory and I think it does some strange thing with it. My system
it's rock solid, only problem with recent kernels is that it mounts the swap
FILE twice at boot.

Kernel 2.1.100
Cyrix P166
32Mb Memory
[nmrf@rcu133 nmrf]$ /sbin/swapon -s
Filename Type Size Used Priority
/dev/hda3 partition 30236 220 -1
/swapfile file 20476 0 -4

Messages from /var/log/messages:
May 16 07:30:02 rcu133 kernel: VM: Found a writable swap-cached page!
May 16 07:30:02 rcu133 last message repeated 194 times
May 16 07:30:11 rcu133 kernel: !
May 16 07:30:11 rcu133 kernel: VM: Found a writable swap-cached page!
May 16 07:30:11 rcu133 last message repeated 194 times

--
Nuno Ferreira
nmrf@rnl.ist.utl.pt