Re: Cannot mount with .100+

Gary Lawrence Murphy (garym@maya.dyn.ml.org)
Sun, 17 May 1998 13:21:25 -0400

A> Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
>> ... my boot process halts dead with the last statement
>> being the "mounting local filesystems" from rc.sysinit

A> ... Apparently rebuilding
A> the kernel with kmod support and commenting out kerneld from
A> the scripts did the job.

My system does not use any module-based filesystems in fstab, and
adding the -v switch to mount curiously echos only the _second_
entry (and the second ext2 fs).

I did notice that RH has kerneld being started in both the rc.sysinit
and in an init.d script, so I removed both and placed the lines to
set the /proc/sys/kernel/* files as specified in kmod.txt, however these
simply give the error message

>echo "/sbin/modprobe" > /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe

/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe: No such file or directory

my 'proc' tree is read-only! I have omitted something very basic from
my configuration. If kmod is critical to the new mount program, then
perhaps my real trouble is this /proc permissions situation; whatever
the cause, I still hang on the mount statement.

I have verified this mount problem with kernels back to at least
2.1.98; one correspondent reports a similar problem, also failing
after apparently successfully mounting an older IDE disk but before
mounting a newer IDE drive (just in case this is important)

Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@who.net> -------- http://visitweb.com/~garym/
TeleDynamics http://visitweb.com/teledynamics/ RR#1 Sauble Beach, Ont CAN
telecenter design -- telework systems -- intranet/extranet consulting
"You don't play what you know; you play what you hear." ----- Miles Davis