Re: 2.0.34pre breaks my system badly

SL Baur (steve@xemacs.org)
17 May 1998 01:26:15 -0700

>> How about including Takashi Iwai's driver for the Sound Blaster AWE 32? I
>> can't vouch for the usability of the recent versions, but the current one
>> is at:
>>
>> http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/awedrv/awedrv-0.4.2d.tgz

I have a PNP AWE 64 Gold sound card. I've been using 0.4.2c for many
months now. I've been using previous versions since last September on
various 2.0 kernels. I listen to realaudio several hours a day on
weekdays and I've *never* had a crash. It's good stuff, IMO.

The only problem I had was when Linux 2.0.32 managed to stay up more
than a month and I started getting stuff like:

Mar 22 01:08:59 altair kernel: Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer

I think that's due to the memory fragmentation problems folks have
been working so hard to fix and shouldn't be held against the sound
driver.