Re: 2nd version: graphic framebuffer for ia32

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Sat, 16 May 1998 16:00:28 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> What works?
> ===========
>
> 8 bit color modes work fine. You'll get a nice boot logo like on other
> architectures with a graphical frame buffer. You can run XF68_FBDev[1].
> XF86_SVGA can handle the new situation (console in graphic mode) too, at
> least with my card.
> Colormap programming is done by accessing the vga dac registers directly
> (remember: no bios), so you might run in touble if your board is'nt vga
> register compatible.
>
> With 15/16 bit color depth you get at least a working console. XF68_FBDev
> does not work for me (black screen), but this might be becauce the Server
> can't handle this (according to the man-page TrueColor support is

Anything above 8 bpp doesn't work yet with XF68_FBDev. We're working on that.

> incomplete). The boot logo colors are wrong, guess there are some endian
> issues in the fbcon driver, althrouth I hav'nt checked yet.

The boot logo colors are also wrong in 16 bpp with my ATI (which uses true
color) on Linux/PPC.

> With 32bit I see the boot logo (wrong colors too), the white, flashing
> cursor, but no text. Hav'nt even tried XF68_FBDev.

Boot logo colors are fine in 32 bpp with my ATI. To solve the text color
problem, you probably have to mungle the RGB fields when filling in
fbcon_cfb32_cmap[]. Anyway, this wasn't tested on little endian yet, so there
may be some bugs lurking in fbcon-cfb32.c too.

> [1] Beside some minor keyboard problems, XF68_FBDev (the version included
> in XFree 3.3.2 compiles and runs out of the box. The only thing you
> have to to is to edit xf86site.cf and enable it, becauce XF68_FBDev
> is'nt build by default on linux/ia32.

The keyboard problems can be solved by putting the keyboard in K_MEDIUMRAW
mode instead of RAW mode (xc/.../os-support/linux/lnx_io.c).

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be