Re: Hard drive making noise during network activity

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 16 May 1998 06:49:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Carl Thompson wrote:

> My guess is that the sound is coming from the speaker on your modem. In
> my experience, some cheaper modems do not have properly shielded
> components that drive the speaker and you can get noise that coincides
> with interrupt activity on your machine. Listen closely while moving
> your mouse around in X or while pressing and holding down a key on the
> keyboard. Do you hear the same kind of sound? I had this problem
> recently with a voice modem so I was running it with powered external
> speakers. Since there's nothing more annoying than amplified interrupt
> noise I had to return the modem.

No, nothing but pure modem activity generates this noise. I've
tried several things. I'm still not 100% positive, but I think
it is the modem.

I'm going to assume that it is the modem until I get a chance to
test it fully. Then if I'm right, my modem is going to have a
sex change.

> Try running you system with a different modem, too.

Modems don't grow on trees ya know! ;o)