Re: How to compile a Pentium II

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Fri, 15 May 1998 09:39:41 -0700 (PDT)

> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
> > Actually, the PII has an external L2 cache running at 2:1 clock
> > vs. the core; the PPro has an internal L2 cache at 1:1 (faster).
>
> So the PII is a marketing con-trick then? I've been told the PPro is far
> better. <g>

Not really, but it's a technologically simpler device. Read: a PII
(Klamath) at the same frequency is slower than a PPro. However, it
seems Intel aren't as savvy at building SRAM as they are building
processors (which they are very savvy at), and the 1:1 in-package
custom cache die of the PPro in the end apparently turned out to be
clock-limiting and cost inefficient. You may want to note the Klamath
is a lot cheaper than the PPro (especially the PPro-512K) and is
available at higher frequencies.

However, a *major* limitation of the Klamath and the other Slot 1
processors is the limitation to two processors and 512 MB RAM.

-hpa