Re: journaling filesystem

Hans Reiser (reiser@ricochet.net)
Fri, 15 May 1998 00:34:30 -0700

Forgive my stupidity, but if I am depending on unlock_buffers() only
being called on a buffer after the buffer has reached disk (more
precisely, reached some state at which the disk won't lose it if power
fails), am I mistaken to depend on this, with the current SCSI drivers
and typical disk drives? This matters to me....
If I lose power, can I frequently lose a buffer write of a buffer that
has already passed through unlock_buffers?

Is IDE safe in this regard?

Less important to me:

With respect to needing an infinite journal, why not just let the FS
track whether there are buffers whose writes are preventing writing the
journal, and then when the journal gets large enough that we fear some
buffer is never getting to disk (which will rarely happen), stall the FS
until we get the report that the buffer was written?
Preserve lists work this way in reiserfs, when I run out of disk space
because I have preserved too many blocks without freeing them, I sync,
and then the preserved blocks are freed. I rarely sync, because usually
disk traffic has enough lulls in it that I don't need to.

Hans