Re: more Boot Logo thoughts

Dwight Hubbard (dlhubbar@collins.rockwell.com)
Thu, 14 May 1998 09:09:11 -0500

Edward S. Marshall wrote:

> I'm sure this has come up before, but I'll mention it anyway. :-)
>
> Has anyone given any thought to the idea of pulling kernel messages
out of
> the kernel binary itself, and using numerical referencing for them
> instead, in an attempt to see how much space would be preserved in the

> final kernel image?

I like this, not only does it have the potential to make the kernel
smaller. It
could make things much easier to support. If the kernel just displayed
the
numeric code for the message instead of the message itself, it is much
easier to
get a 6 or 8 digit numeric code from a computer illiterate over the
phone than it
is to get them to read you an exact error message off the screen.

--
Dwight Hubbard (319) 295-1509         Rockwell-Collins
System Administrator