Re: Boot Logo Questions....

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Tue, 12 May 1998 23:38:19 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Brian Weiss wrote:

> I do think that a little penguin logo or something at boot would be nice, but
> I dont think it should replace all the boot msgs. As I said before, anyone
> intimidated by the boot msgs shouldn't be running Linux. Even when most of us
> (myself especially) ran Linux for the first time, we weren't intimidated by
> those msgs. We just accepted them and hoped to understand them later. I
> definately don't think there should be something that completely takes over
> the screen and hides things, just maybe a small logo.

As the kernel size continues to increase, and I realise that the
386 with 2MB RAM no longer runs Linux "snappily" like it used to
oh so many years ago, I wonder at the value of a graphical Linux
logo in the kernel.

This stuff belongs in userspace. Hack lilo to do it if logos are
so important but please don't add "nifty" and ultimately useless
features to a kernel which could already do with a good diet and
some exercise.