Re: Why from there?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Thu, 14 May 1998 03:11:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> There are symbolic links from
>
> /usr/include/linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux
> /usr/include/asm to /usr/src/linux/include/asm
>
> Which would break if we moved to a version number scheme. Every time
> you update to a new version of the kernel, you would need to remember to
> update the symlinks.

Nope, mine work fine. When I get a new kernel, I cd to /usr/src
and do a "rm linux" which deletes the symlink. Then I untar the
new linux source, rename the directory to linux-2.whatever, and
RETAR it, then delete the source I downloaded. That way next
time I untar I don't need to fry my kernel.

It is really only an inconvenience, not a major problem. I wish
that it would change, but by the sounds of it it wont. It is
easy enough to write a script to do all of this for you...
Requires some disk space, but who doesn't have Gigs of free space
nowadays.... ;o)

> Now, I keep multiple copies of the kernel around, as /usr/src/linux-2.1.101,
> and /usr/src/linux-2.0.33, and then move a symlink around so that
> /usr/src/linux points to linux-2.1.101 or linux-2.0.33, as appropriate.
> But most people aren't kernel developers, and aren't keeping multiple
> kernels around.

Yeah, I do too. I am not an active developer of any kind, but I
do use multiple kernels, and go from source tree to source tree.
It'd be real nice to untar it and get linux-version.... Oh
well..