Re: Why from there?

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@trill.cis.fordham.edu)
Thu, 14 May 1998 00:56:02 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Riley Williams <rhw@bigfoot.com>
To: C Scott Ananian <cananian@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>; Linux Kernel
<linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wednesday, May 13, 1998 1:35 PM
Subject: Why from there?

>Hi Scott.
>
> > Lastly, your patch does not include the path information necessary
> > to determine which of the 12 kernel source files named 'time.c'
> > your patch applies against. The convention is to make your patches
> > sitting in /usr/src, so that 'linux' is the first component of the
> > path name. This just makes it easier for Linus (and all the rest of
> > us beta-testers of such stuff) to apply.
>
>Why on earth do you insist on just putting "linux" as the first
>component of the pathname when EVERYBODY else includes the version
>number? I can think of NO reason in favour of your choice, and plenty
>of reasons against it, including the following:
>
> Q> The current choice means that if I forget to move the "linux"
> Q> symlink from the old directory to a new directory specially
> Q> created for the new kernel, it overwrites my old kernel and thus
> Q> prevents me from reverting to it if the new kernel is faulty.
>
>PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start including the kernel version in the base
>directory in the tarballs !!! I'd much sooner see a tarball create the
>directory "linux-2.1.102" than the directory "linux" !!!
>
>Best wishes from Riley.

I agree, the version number on the exploded directory would help keep things
in order. To keep backward compatability I'd suggest also including a
symbolic link 'linux -> linux-x.x.x' in the tar ball. GNU's tar handles
this correctly, and so does every other tar I have used. Furthermore GNU's
tar 1.12 includes an option to overwrite symbolic links so if people are
told to use it then there shouldn't be the problem of people accidently
using the old kernel because they didn't update their link. In addition
this will also help prevent people from accidently overwriting their changes
when they upgrade their kernel.