Re: Boot Logo Thoughts (LONG)

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
13 May 1998 19:47:33 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.6jd9n2$69h$1@palladium.transmeta.com>,
H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:
>Followup to: <6jcvfl$4o@pell.pell.portland.or.us>
>By author: o.r.c@transmeta.com (david parsons)
>In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
>>
>> In article <linux.kernel.19980513083620.11760.qmail@bigred.inka.de>,
>> Olaf Titz <olaf@bigred.inka.de> wrote:
>>
>> >Unlike /proc, the splash screen stuff doesn't _need_ to be in the
>> >kernel.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it does, because nothing else is running from the point
>> where the loader run to the point where init is forked.
>>

>It can be in the boot loader (the kernel needs to be made aware of it,
>though.)

Yes; the patch that was posted here a while back (which went
*immediately* into my kernel tree) does that. The only place
where it fails is that it then drops the machine back into
ickytextmode when the machine finishes loading and goes into
ia32 mode. I'm working on fixing that, though I've gotten
some interesting "Hi! I'm the boot image and I'm going to
stand here smiling at you until you get bored and push the
Big Red Switch" crashes in the process.

>I'm working on a new ext2fs-aware boot loader; I'm thinking
>about putting in graphic screen support, although it is definitely a
>low priority.

Well, that would be nice, but wouldn't be quite as useful to people
who use lilo, loadlin, or those spiffy little one-block loaders that
were written recently.

____
david parsons \bi/ I'll shut up and write code now.
\/