Re: Boot Logo Thoughts (LONG)

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Thu, 14 May 1998 05:13:55 +0400 (MSD)

EM> On Thu, 14 May 1998, Khimenko Victor wrote:
EM> > Unfortunatelly it's hard to implement :-( VESA standard does not have
EM> > protected-mode API to switch screen mode :-(( And call to real-mode API is
EM> > really weird thing. Even more: there are a lot of cards with broken VESA
EM> > support :-(
EM>
EM> Ok, someone has to say it (and I may as well be the one flamed for it).
EM>
EM> You guys are discussing the reimplementation of something that already
EM> exists: KGI. With one difference, of course...your discussion is centered
EM> around a bit of glitz during the boot process, where KGI/GGI tries to
EM> solve a more generic problem. :-)

Ok. When KGI/GGI *really* solve this "more generic problem" this could be used
for Logo :-) KGI/GGI must be included in mainstream before used for Logo...
For Logo you does not need such flexible and complex solution... Just simple
wrapper to emulate standard console in 376x564x256 mode is FAR EASILY to
implement then full KGI/GGI ...