Re: boot images/logos/splashes (one more idea)

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
13 May 1998 17:13:15 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.19980514051246.H20954@goldweb.com.au>,
Matthew Hawkins <matt@mail.goldweb.com.au> wrote:

>What all the Pro Boot Logo people miss each time this useless thread reappears
>on the kernel mailing list is that Linux does not just run on IBM-compatible
>PCs.

I think you're being ridiculous here. OF COURSE Linux runs on
other than IBM-Compatable machines, but that's no reason to
avoid anything that might be useful on a specific class of
IBM-compatable machine (VGA-capable graphics, in the case of
the noickytexthere boot patch that was posted here) because
I can't use it on my headless PA machine.

>You seem to suggest that a root prompt will freak out the users.

Not in the least. I want to have a noickytexthere boot logo
because I (I've been using Unix for 21 years now) would rather
see a pretty logo than the Unix standard page and a half of
"okay, this subsystem installed correctly" messages during
bootup. (That's not the only reason; I have ongoing fights
with timid clients who are positive that their customers will
panic and die if they discover that their network is being
routed to the outside world via a Linux machine instead of a,
umm, modern and powerful blue-screen generator. But if I wasn't
employed, I'd still want to have my Linux distribution plop
up a little picture of a 4-8-0 when it boots.)

____
david parsons \bi/ Now if I could only keep the system from puking
\/ when I don't set the console mode until after the
kernel has loaded.