Re: Out of VM idea

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:57:02 +0200 (MET DST)

On 29 Apr 1998, Zlatko Calusic wrote:

> > You can tune the buffermem & pagecache amount of memory
> > in /proc/sys/vm/{buffermem,pagecache}.
>
> Every time before he starts compiling, and then return to old values
> when he's finished?
>
> IMNSHO, kernel should be autotuning.

How do you propose we should do this? The round-robin
deallocation and on-demand allocation of buffer/user
pages are somewhat auto-tuning.
Maybe we should age the page cache & buffermem pages
to achieve a more LRU-like discarding scheme (the
buffer pages are thrown out randomly at the moment).

> > But why your system has 4 MB of free memory I really
> > don't know...

> if (nr_free_pages > num_physpages >> 4)
> return nr+1;
>
> With 64MB of memory, last 4MB are almost never used!!!

I believe George said something about my patch, with
which the number should be lower.
Anyway, the freepages number should be sysctl tunable,
together with kswapd agressiveness and clustering
size.

> MM in last kernels is not very good.

True, but maybe Linus will integrate my patch, which
makes the kernel behave somewhat more predictable, and
which has a builtin low/high watermark so thrashing is
reduced.

Rik.